Friday, May 16, 2008

Abby 05/13/06-05/15/08

This is the last photo ever taken of my Abbygirl. I took it a few days ago just because she was too cute not to. I love my baby girl very, very much which is why I had to make the worst decision a pet owner ever has to make.

She had Wobblers Disease - a pretty severe case. I did everything I could short of surgery. The surgery is extremely expensive and there are no guarantees - it could even leave her unable to walk at all. I realized I was being selfish by continually pushing her and hoping she would improve. Her condition only progressed.

Last night my parents and Mark came over and we all sat around loving on her until the vet arrived. She was given an anesthetic which took about 15 minutes before she was totally relaxed. She fought it pretty hard. Once she was relaxed, I sat next to her with her head in my lap, petting and kissing her head. The vet came in and administered the final drug. After about a minute or so, her head got very heavy in my lap and I knew she was gone. I just sat there holding her and sobbing while my parents and Mark sobbed along with me.

I couldn't watch them take her away. I laid down on my bed still crying while they took her out. My parents and Mark then took everything of hers away. I can't have anything of hers around me anymore. It's much too painful. She will be cremated and I will get her ashes in a nice box. She was an amazing dog, companion, friend, daughter. She will be missed by everyone who knew her.

15 comments:

Rinny said...

Steven, I am so sorry that you are without Abby. She meant the world to you. It's one of the hardest things to do. Know that we are thinking of you.

KitKat said...

Dearest Steven,
I am so sorry for the loss of Abby.
I know you loved her dearly and she had the best life she could have,sadly shorter than we dreamed for her.
You did the right thing and she is free now.
You will see her again one day for I firmly believe that the Lord has all our loved pets gathered at the foot of the Throne just waiting for their masters.
Sincerely,

Kathy

Abby's "Grandma"

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Steven.

Jim said...

I heard about this on Mark's blog. I'm really sorry that it happened to you. I have been there and will be there again. I forget sometimes that my kids are 9 and 10, they just don't act their ages. When that day comes I too will be crying....

Chin up, she had a great time with you!

Jess said...

I'm so sorry. I know how terribly this hurts, and I'm typing this through tear-filled eyes. It's little comfort to know you did the right thing by her, but it's the truth. Letting her go on wouldn't have been right. I hope good memories will comfort you. *hug*

Anonymous said...

Steven, as a pet owner I can share your feelings and the loss of your sweet Abby. I have experienced this more than once and it's never easy. Please know that you have made the most humane decision in caring for her needs. Your Dad was kind enough to share your blog site so that I could send my condolences.

Jane

kathleen said...

Oh, Steven, I'm so so sorry! I know how much Abby meant to you and I know this must have been an awful decision to have to make. I'm amazed at your strength - doing the right thing for her, even though it was horrible for you. We'll be thinking about you and sending you our good vibes for healing and peace.

TJ said...

Deciding the best course of action for our beloved pets is not always easy. Just know that you did the right thing by Abby. I have no doubt that she loved you very much as did you her. She was lucky to have you and again you her. You will always have Abby in your heart and that you will never loose. Be kind to yourself and let time heal the pain.

Anonymous said...

Steven, I am so sorry for your loss, but I am sure it was the best thing for Abby. I know what an incredibly hard decision it is to make, but it is our responsibility to end their suffering when it's time. We owe them that for the love and acceptance they give us. I love you. Olivia

Anonymous said...

Steven, I'm sitting here with a tear in my eye as I write this. Chris and I have been through this several times over the last 14 years and it never gets any easier. I'm sending you big hugs my friend, please know that time will heal......

Chip

Team Manager said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Abby was lucky to have such a kind and loving Father. I know it doesn't make matters any easier but you did the right thing, don't ever doubt that. I wish you all the best as you journey through this difficult time.

elaygee said...

I know Abby's memory will serve as a blessing to you, your family and your friends.

Anonymous said...

Steven -- I am so sorry. This is such a huge loss it will take a long time to begin to heal. We love you and we are thinking of you. Darcy, John & Griffon

A Lewis said...

Steven, I've never read your blog but have often heard you mentioned in Mark's. I've never been a pet owner until three months ago....and now, the heavy wet tears are rolling down my cheeks as I write to you. It's a day I never want to come. Today, I send you peace and comfort. I'm so very very sorry.

Crash said...

Steven, I'm so sorry to hear about this. You're in my thoughts.