Monday, July 14, 2008

George Michael - 25Live


Last night was probably the best concert I've ever seen - at least for the time he was on stage. My only complaints - and they were quickly forgiven - are that our tickets stated "8:00pm Prompt." I don't know what's prompt about and 8:50 start. I was getting a little annoyed. Then, after about 45 min to an hour, he said "Back in 20." and took off. The lights came up and a 20 min countdown appeared on the screen. Other than that he left nothing to complain about.

I sat in between probably the two biggest GM fans there are - Mark on one side and a very closeted Marine on the other side. They were both talking about the other cities on the tour and comparing how it was so far compared to his European tour. Through the entire concert they were both guessing aloud the next song. I have to admit it was a lot of fun sitting with the two of them.

Oh, there was another negative that had nothing whatsoever to do with George. We had an obnoxious George impersonator sitting at the end of our row. He was obnoxiously British - continually talking through the show, drunk off his ass, horrible body odor that I could smell 6 people down from him, confrontational, and I think he actually believed he was George. Sad.

All of that aside - the show was amazing! George's voice was amazing and he had all of his old moves. He sang songs for us that weren't on the European tour and one song that he had never sung onstage - it was the first song he'd ever written...when he was 8. He definitely made up for the tardiness and the 20 minute break. He had a couple of encores and ended the show with "Freedom".

I have to say, there are two songs I couldn't believe he left out - "I Want Your Sex" and "Monkey", but I'm not one to complain...I think I'm still in shock over the fact that after waiting for so long, I finally got to see him in concert!

Read a more professional review here...

4 comments:

troglodytis said...

color me jealous

Anonymous said...

Color me angry. I missed it completely. After I moved back home from Dallas (to New York), I went back to college. There I met a Trinidadian boy who was, for all the world, George Michael's twin. Wham! was already fading into the collective memory of popular music at the time (early 1990s), but his boy gave me my opportunity to live my fantasy of dating George Michael. Alas, he was found to be in the U.S. illegally and got deported.

I took that as a sure sign from the heavens that I was meant to date the real thing and not an impostor. When he announced this latest tour, I broke my neck to be among the first to get tickets for his NYC show. Two days prior to the show, the tickets where nowhere to be found. We searched, we looked, we turned the house inside out...nowhere. Even the dog was questioned and held in protective custody. Just in case. Nothing. Two days AFTER the show, the tickets were found...inside the left front pocket of the pants I intended to wear on the day of the concert. They were clean, pressed, and dry cleaned, but they were still the tickets.

Color me stupid.

Anonymous said...

Oh, but you better believe that for this next concert I'm leaving these tickets where I know they will be safe.

I'm leaving them with the dog.

Team Manager said...

I'm jealous.