Monday, June 25, 2007

True Colors

Hot, hot, hot boy Andy

Let me just start by saying, in Dallas we don't celebrate Pride at the end of June like the rest of the country. We celebrate in September to commemorate a court ruling overturning the Texas Sodomy Laws (which was, itself, later overturned). This year we were able to get a little taste of Pride along with everyone around the country thanks to Cyndi Lauper. Her "True Colors Tour" arrived in Dallas this past Saturday, and like every gay man in Dallas, we attended.

Saturday was a lot of fun, although exhausting. Mark, Brian, and I went to breakfast at Mama's Daughters' Diner for a little bear watching. Around 1pm we went to a pre-concert pool party at Jeff and Rusty's. It was a small, but good gathering of guys. I indulged in a few cups of trash can punch (a few too many) and floated around the pool - that is, until the swimsuits started coming off.

I got a chance to meet Andy, from Austin and his boyfriend Jeff. I used to chat with Andy awhile back so it was nice to finally meet him in person. He's a very sweet and funny guy who also happens to be extremely hot! Shortly after the swimsuits came off we realized there were only a couple of hours before the concert. We went home to nap before heading out.

The concert was great (most of it.) Jim met us at the gate and we headed inside while the Dresden Dolls were on stage. Luckily they were finishing up their set as we were sitting down. Margaret Cho came out and was hilarious as usual, followed by the legendary Debbie Harry. However, some legends should stay legends. She was unable to do any Blondie material, so it was all her solo stuff. I love her, but she didn't put on the greatest show.

She was followed by Erasure. I have to admit I had chills through most of it and teared up a lot during their time on stage. I have waited 20 years to see them live and in December the friend of mine who introduced me to them and was obsessed with them, died of cancer. So, I was crying for her as well as just the fact that I was standing in the same air with them. They were by far the highlight of the evening.

Cyndi came out shortly after. I love Cyndi Lauper, I really do. I just have to say, by this point in the concert we were pretty beat. She was a lot of fun, but dammit, she rearranged or did alternate versions of her hits which, at a concert like this, can get a little annoying. After she was done, they all came out and sang "Take a Chance on Me" and "True Colors." Overall, it was a great evening, but I was ready to go home - except that I was pretty damn hungry.

We decided to go to Cuquita's (Brian and Mama are obsessed with this place). I had never been and since Mark wasn't very hungry (he hates it) we decided it was a good time to go. All I'm going to say is that I don't see what all the fuss is about and leave it at that.

For pictures I'm sending you to Mark. His camera is much better than mine and was able to get much clearer pictures.


1 comment:

just me said...

Thank You sooooo much for the info. I can't tell you how long this September thing has bothered me. I have to say the concert was amazing. I think it qualifies as the event of the season. I truly felt proud. ;)