Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Explosions and Cancer

Well, first of all, thank you to everyone supportive messages and emails about the weight issues. It really means a lot. It's been a life-long battle and one that I'm sure will continue. But as time goes on I learn better ways of dealing and coping with it. (And yes - the Weight Watchers points system is the only diet plan that ever worked for me - I lost about 55 pounds over about 6 months - and even though I've been off of it officially for months now, I've only gained back about 5 pounds. It is definitely the way to go for me personally.)

Well, today at work was a little interesting. About a mile away from work was a gas plant explosion. We could hear little explosions constantly as tanks exploded and flew through the air. Here's a little video taken by a local photojournalist.

If that wasn't exciting enough...there's something I haven't written about at all in here, but is weighing heavily on my mind. Someone very close to me is dying from lung and brain cancer. Today the doctors did a CAT Scan and found 4 more tumors for a total of 7. One of them is wrapped around his right optic nerve. He also developed a Staph infection throughout his body that has now spread to the brain.

I have had many friends die from different things - even a couple from disease. This time is different. I've never had to watch someone I care about this much go through this. The only word I can use to describe it is "surreal." His body is giving out on him - abandoning him - and doing so in a very painful way. It is so bizarre to sit next to someone you love so much and to know that in a few months he'll probably be gone forever.

Tonight I hugged him and held him while we both cried. I really, honestly don't know how to handle this. I know I will because I always do, this is just different territory for me. I know it's so hard for him too after watching his mom go through the exact same thing about 6 years ago. Now he is in her exact same position. I can't imagine what that feels like for him. All I can do is support him and love him and make things as easy as possible. I'll take care of myself later.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your friends are so lucky to have Steven as their friend.

Anonymous said...

OMG, Steven! I really can't believe this. Has he told his family yet? He really needs to give them a chance to see him. Damn. Poor thing!

You seem to always attract new and extreme emotional challenges, and I know you'll be okay and be comforted by the fact that you did as much as you could. And of course, you have a faithful support network, too. All you have to do is ask.

Anonymous said...

ABC News just did a segment on exploding Dallas.

(Steven, were you out back smoking?)

Jessica said...

Just be there for him. Some of the smallest things mean the most.

When I had cancer, a friend would be available to be whenever I needed her. I remember waking her up one night asking for a Starbucks coffee: she drove around until she found one that was open. These little measures mean the most to me. And to her: she knew she couldn't make the cancer go away herself, but she made sure she did what she could.