Thursday, July 19, 2007

My First Meme

THE RULES

We have to post these rules before we give you the facts.
Players start with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
People who are tagged write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight (I might just choose four) people to get tagged and list their names. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.

1. I'm drawn to tornadoes. I will never forget witnessing one of the largest tornadoes to hit North Texas. I was only 4 when it happened, but I still remember it like it was yesterday. It was in Wichita Falls where we were living briefly. I was over at my grandmother's house, standing on the front porch. She was behind me covering my ears because there was a tornado siren a block away. Three tornadoes merged into one before cutting through the city. Lucky for us it wasn't on our side of town, but it leveled my uncle's house. I have had a fascination with tornadoes ever since. If it wasn't such an expensive hobby I would be a storm chaser.

2. I used to be very musically inclined. In elementary school I was part of a handbell choir. We were the only school to have one and I loved it! I was also in the choir and played the Cello in the orchestra. In Junior High I continued with choir for a year, but found a new passion. I left orchestra to join the band where I played the Bassoon - still one of my favorite instruments. I gave it all up in high school for theater. I still love music and wish I still played the Bassoon. I really miss it.

3. I came out when I was 17, not necessarily by choice. My mom had listened in on a phone conversation and my dad flat out asked me when we were driving back from taking the SAT. My mom didn't come out of her room for 3 days. It turns out that my grandfather who died when I was 6 months old, was gay. She'd never dealt with that and was afraid that I was destined to be unhappy and addicted to pain killers. Well - she was right, but it wasn't because I'm gay.

4. I used to collect Wonder Woman memorabilia. I decorated my kitchen with all of it. I still have a few things - the collectibles that will be worth something someday. I still love Wonder Woman, but I no longer collect. In fact, I gave most of it away. I decided I didn't want to decorate with a comic book character motif anymore.

5. I wanted to join a monastery when I was 16. On a church trip one year we visited a Russian Orthodox monastery in South Texas. I fell in love with the simplicity of their lives. I wrote to them and discussed joining them for about a year. I eventually realized I was looking for a way to escape my house because my mom and I were not getting along at the time. My Christian beliefs were waning though, and I decided against joining. A few years ago the monastery was the focus of an investigation into child molestation leading to several arrests and convictions. I think I made the right decision.

6. I was raised in the Church of Christ. Although I questioned my beliefs a lot, I became a very gung-ho crusader for Christ. I was doing something at church almost everyday of the week. That all changed when I came out. After all of the years and energy I put into that church, they turned their backs on me. I walked out the door and never went back. It was the catalyst I needed to break away from that belief system and go on a search for one that worked. I practiced Wicca for several years, then as I got older, I decided that it was too restrictive. I studied about some other religions and realized that I didn't need or want religion. Although I'm somewhat spiritual and do have my beliefs, I don't believe in a deity which makes me an atheist. I'm a soft atheist though, because I do believe in the possibility of something out there. I believe there really is no way of knowing for sure until you die which makes me agnostic, so I don't worry about it.

7. The night I graduated High School I didn't attend any parties. I spent that night moving out on my own. I turned 18 the Fall of my senior year and wanted to move out of the house then. My parents made a deal with me to stay until I graduated. So after I walked off that stage I left the coliseum and moved into my first of many apartments.

8. I was anorexic. There was a point as an adult where I got down to 140 pounds - about 40 pounds less than my ideal weight. It wasn't until someone told me I looked like I had AIDS that I started eating and putting on weight. Unfortunately I went the opposite direction. I have battled weight my whole life. My first diet was when I was in 5th grade. I know now that it wasn't necessary, but I felt it was. In 5th grade I was concerned about my weight even though there was nothing to be concerned about. I have always had a distorted self image. It's something I still battle on a daily basis.

Who the hell am I going to tag? I'll have to think about it, but I've gotta jump in the shower and get to work right now.




3 comments:

Mark Floyd-Thaut said...

So when you were performing with your handbells, did anyone yell "I need more cowbells!!!"?

Elizabeth Mai said...

Wow-handbells-good times! I thought I'd find out a lot of weird things about you-but I already know all of these weird things!(Except #8-that's one of those really sucky genes we both got!)

Matt said...

Are you sure that it wasn't collecting wonder woman stuff that gave you away and forced you out of the closet? :)

There's a really good book called "A Letter to a Christian Nation" that I think you would like, which helped me to understand my faith or lack there of. (For example, the author insists that the term "athiest" is an unfair label.)