Thursday, April 10, 2008

Spring is Here!


Mother Nature made it clear last night that Spring has sprung. We had massive storms and some tornadoes sweep through North Texas. I absolutely love this time of year! There's something about the smell and feel of the air that is invigorating. The moments before a storm, especially one with tornadic activity, there is a charge in the air. Out of the entire year, that is my favorite time to be outside.

I think all of this goes back to when I was very little and living in Wichita Falls. On April 10, 1979 (weird that that was 29 years to the day) a massive F4 tornado 1 1/2 miles wide cut through the city while it was on the ground for 47 minutes. It destroyed 1/5 of the city, including my uncle's house. I remember standing on the front porch of Meemaw's house with sirens blaring. She was standing behind me with her hands over my ears as we watched the storm. Luckily for us it was on the other side of town.

For several months after that I drew little tornadoes all over my papers - on everything. It made quite an impression. From that point on I've been so completely fascinated by them and get excited during tornado producing storms. I always wanted to be a storm chaser - and maybe I still will once I'm retired. Most people think I'm weird. I'm the one that friends call to come over during tornado weather because I remain so calm and positive.

So, last night we had a lot of wind damage with a couple of reported tornadoes touching down. Today the metroplex is in a tizzy with overturned trucks, downed powerlines, electrical outages, etc. There are even some school districts closed due to power outages. FUN!!

2 comments:

Elizabeth Mai said...

You're nuts. I was not thinking "FUN!" last spring when I was home alone with Elijah and 36 weeks pregnant with Ella, literally stuck in the bathtub with pillows all around us while trying to convince Elijah not to be scared. NOT fun!

Tim said...

hehe I live in Oklahoma and I know exactly what you mean, you keep watching the storms as they build up over the plains and than it's like a let down if they dissipate or miss you. My funny story about tornadoes has me cleaning my carpet with the tv on. After I was done i was cleaning up and I kept hearing this siren on TV, all I could think of was who would have 5 minutes of an amublence alarm that's really annoying. Than I realized it was the tornado sirens going off and I looked out the window and this gigantic storm was ripping thru my back yard. Duly chastized i flipped to the news and found out that the storm over my head was developing rotation, luckily for my neighborhood it touched down north of us like always and Norman was saved again! heh now I clean with the windows open!