Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Monkey Blood


So I was chatting with someone last night and he referenced Monkey Blood. Obscure reference, but I loved it! I hadn't thought of that stuff in years! It just made me smile. Then of course I had to look it up and find out whatever happened to it. Turns out in 1998 the FDA disapproved it and it is now illegal in the US. Apparently it had a risk of mercury poisoning. Go figure - the medical name for it is Mercurochrome. Hmmm...

Anyway, just thought it was a little fun blast from the past! To think that there's a whole generation that has no idea what monkey blood is or what it means to rub mercury into your cuts and scrapes with the bonus of staining your skin red.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of it. I guess that's something else my parents deprived me of ;)

Elizabeth Mai said...

I thought we were the only ones that called it Monkey Blood! When I think back, it seems like that was the cure-all: Just put some Monkey Blood on it.