Thursday, August 21, 2008

Time for me to beg...

Well, I've put it off as long as I could - I hate asking for money (I'd make a very bad vagrant.) It's time to start collecting officially for the LifeWalk benefiting AIDSArms a local charity helping people with HIV and AIDS.

I've had the "Donate" button on my blog for a few months now and a HUGE thank you to the people who have donated, but I'm still far from my goal. This year I aimed high - $2500, because I believe it's possible. Last year we had a record-breaking year overall, earning a grand total of $370,000. Mark and I will be working and walking with Team Rainbow Ranch to break more records this year.

Unfortunately these days it's very needed. The rate of new HIV infections is growing at an alarming rate. Whether it's due to lack of knowledge, drugs, complacency, or a combination is unknown. What is known is that education is the key to preventing new infections and helping those that are newly infected.

This is a charity very close to my heart. I have been lucky (pure luck is all it is) that I've never become positive despite a lot of episodes of stupidity in my past. But adding it up, I would have to say that 80-90% of my gay friends are positive and I see the effects of the disease on their daily lives. Kids are out there with the attitude that it's no big deal because people aren't dying left and right like the 80's and early 90's. It is still an incurable disease, and while there are medications that allow you to live a long life, they do horrible things to your body.

Ok, I'm going to step off my soapbox for now, that's not what this post is about. It's about money...if you have the means and inclination, please click on the "Donate" link at the top of the main page and give anything you can...please don't be intimidated if you see people donate large amounts - every $5 or $10 helps.

Thank you again to everyone who has and will donate!

No comments: