Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Sobering thought

Just a moment of reflection. I had a reminder this morning that I have it pretty good. The most I can bitch about right now is the weather and my allergies. Other than that my life is pretty easy.

I have two friends in Iraq right now - that makes them sound more like acquaintances when in reality both of them are more like brothers to me. One of them, Abe, I've known for 26 or so years (I'm 33 so that's about 80% of my life.) The other one, Ersan, I've known for about 15 years. Ersan is two years younger than I am and has been like a little brother to me from day one, so naturally I have very protective feelings for him.

Anyway - our group from HS is planning our annual get-together and Abe is in on the emails even though he will be in Iraq at the time. He makes comments occasionally, suggesting Baghdad and Iraq as great vacationing spots. While he's very funny and makes me laugh, it's a very sobering reminder of what they do all day compared to what I do all day. Abe flies helicopters around Iraq and Ersan is an RN at Camp Bucca. I sell tile and bitch about traffic, my knee, allergies, weather, my back...I really have nothing I should be bitching about. Two people I consider to be closest to me are in Iraq doing jobs that I would never do - and they're doing it proudly.

So, today I'm gonna try to make it through the day without bitching (I can't think of one day in my life that that's happened.) But, if I start I'm going to think of Abe and Ersan and remember that I have nothing to bitch about.


Me Sitting in Abe's Lap


Me and Ersan

(I love you guys and miss you!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know I don't think you or Abe have changed much since high school (well ok maybe you a little bit:). Here's to sending good vibes his way. Take care dear.

Rebecca