Saturday, March 7, 2009

Trip to Gorum

So, we're in Gorum to help my parents move Grandma's stuff out of her house. I'm the first one up and I've made my coffee and am sitting here in disbelief at how long dial-up connections take. I guess I just didn't remember. I mean I knew it was slow, but damn! My first pot of coffee was finished brewing before the home page came up.

That's one thing about living so far in the middle of nowhere - you have to be patient. I'm not. At all. I attempted doing a couple of things on Facebook, but it was just ridiculous how long everything took to load. It's a different world out here. (I realize how pathetic this sounds.)

Tonight, Mark will get the privilage of experiencing a local dance. Uncle Charles, Grandma's brother, will be playing the fiddle tonight - and he's amazing to watch. The fun part will be watching Mark take in the gathering of people. Most of them I'm related to somehow. There are 3 main family names out here and I think ours outnumbers the others by quite a bit. Anyway, I haven't seen a lot of these people in years so it'll be fun. The last time Mark came out here with me, but he only got to meet Aunt Carmen, he didn't get the full "Gorum Experience."

I think he's approaching it from an anthropological point of view. He asked if there were banjos and my mom replied, "we don't have banjos, we use fiddles out here." It'll be an experience he'll never forget.

Hopefully we'll be going into Natchitoches today for lunch at Lasyonne's. We need meat pies and gumbo at some point. If not today then we'll have to do it on the way out of town tomorrow. But I have a craving - and Mark's been talking about it for two weeks now, so hopefully we'll go today.

I'll be sure to take pictures tonight!

2 comments:

Jim said...

Have fun, can't wait to see the pics!

Anonymous said...

Are you and Mark going to do a Two-Step together?