Thursday, February 22, 2007

Back to Basics Tour

Last night Mark and I went to see Christina Aguilera. That bitch can put on a show! But I'll get to that in a minute. The sceduled opening act was The Pussycat Dolls. We arrived after the opening act started and went and found our seats.

On stage was a group of what appeared to be strippers, so we assumed it was The Pussycat Dolls. They looked and sounded like them, but we were baffled. Behind them was a sign that said "Danity Kane". Since neither of us had heard of them we were trying to figure out what that meant. After they were finished, Mark turned to the girl next to him and asked if it was the PCDs. She kinda laughed and said that it was Danity Kane and that the PCDs were on next. That was just the first thing that made me feel old.

Now, here's my view of the PCDs. I think the main singer has an incredible voice, but they're all pretty good. The music has a great beat, they can dance, and they're pretty. However - the lyrics are stupid and they dress like strippers. Normally I wouldn't have an issue with the way they dress and act - if they were a Vegas act. The fact that we were surrounded by 12 year old girls who knew every word to every song (ok, not hard - there're about 5 words to each song repeated over and over and over) is what got to me. Girls that age shouldn't be wearing shirts that say "Loosen up my buttons". Call me old fashioned but I don't believe that girls should be trying to be sexy at that age. It's just sickening. That was the second realization that I'm getting old.

Now for Christina. Amazing. You know how at most concerts the performer don't sound nearly as rich as they do on their albums? If you shut your eyes, you wouldn't know whether she was live or recorded - except that I think she actually sounds better live. It was incredible. There was only one glitch in the entire concert and that came after the first song. She said, "What's up Houston?" HOUSTON?!?!? (For those that don't know - we're in Dallas) It really deflated the mood. When she went for a quick change after the song, someone told her she was in Dallas. She came back out and apologized. You could tell she was really embarassed, so all was forgiven and she went on to give a flawless concert.

I sat in amazement as I watched her sing song after song after song, never once missing a note, never once losing the strength in her tone or quality. She is truly one of the best singers today. She has come so far from The Mickey Mouse Club. I always liked her, but after seeing what she is capable of doing in person, I'm now a huge fan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Last night Mark and I went to see Christina Aguilera. That bitch can put on a show!"

You talkin' about Mark or Christina?