Monday, February 19, 2007

My New Love

I'm turning into a hockey fanatic. This was my first year to go to a game. My dad bought season tickets for Mavs and Stars. My parents aren't really hockey fans, so I get a lot of the tickets. It surprises me how much I get into the game.

I'm not a sports fan by any means. My sports interests have always been limited to tennis and baseball. I love going to baseball games too. Although it started out as a great place to check out beautiful men, the more games I went to, the more I loved it. Now I can go to a baseball game and never leave my seat. However the most "fan gear" I've ever bought is a hat or two. Not the same with hockey.

Game by game of hockey, I'm coming out of my sports shell. It's non-stop action and it's just fun. About my 4th game this season I bought a Stars sweatshirt - more out of necessity than anything. I'm not used to being cold, but since I've been losing weight, I can feel the cold a little more. I went to the game and was freezing my ass off. I needed the sweatshirt. I wore that for a couple of games, but as my fanaticism increased so did my need for "fan gear".

A couple of weeks ago I bought my first hockey jersey. And no, not just a plain one, but one with a name and number - Eric Lindros #88. I mean look at him!! Well, yesterday I bought another one. This time I had it custom made. We have a new goalie, Mike Smith. He's amazing to watch. He hasn't played much yet, but has two shutouts. Last Wednesday was his first game to start. I'm crazy about him. His nickname is Smitty, so I got a jersey with his number that says "SMITTY" instead of "SMITH". Stacie, who got me hooked on this sport, says that I'm now passing into the realm of Super Fan.

Yesterday's game was amazing! We beat the Sharks 5-1. They are bitter rivals and you could tell from the moment they stepped on the ice. There were lots of fights. One that involved pads and jerseys being ripped off. FUN! It was an incredible game and I'm sad that my next tickets aren't until March. But I'm taking the next step in fandom. Tuesday night the Stars are away, so I'm going to the official Stars watching party at The Iron Cactus. It helps that there will be drink specials and free food, but I'm really excited to wear my new jersey!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're welcome, Super Fan =)

Anonymous said...

Hockey in Texas? It's just not right. And what's up with those octopuses?

Anonymous said...

Are you up to speed on the octopus thing? There's really no reason for you to be. Since you seem to be enjoying your indoctrination, check this out:
http://www.detroitredwings.com/history/octopus.jsp