Tuesday, February 13, 2007

On Soul-mates...

Fair warning: this maybe a little weird and convoluted. If it is, I apologize. It made sense to me when I wrote it.

It's funny to me how you can go through life missing a part of yourself and not even know it. I personally believe that we are all connected to each other. We have shared experiences and energy. Everything and everyone is made of this energy. I think between lives our energy disperses and is shared with other entities which then are reborn. Over the millenia you have shared enough energy with other entities that you eventually start meeting others with this shared energy.

This recognition of shared energy happens on a molecular level. You don't recognize the other person physically, but your molecules recognize each other and are attracted to each other like magnets. This is the feeling of "love at first sight" or of meeting a "soul-mate". Although rare, I don't think that we are limited to one soul-mate or that love at first sight has to be romantic. It is just two parts of shared energy that recognize that they were once part of the same whole.

That being said, I was fortunate enough to meet someone with that familiar energy. Mark and I hit it off immediately. We knew each other without having spoken. This isn't about sex or romance. It is about being reunited with a part of yourself. The feeling of complete safety and comfort. Knowing that I can say anything and it only connects us more. I have been fortunate enough to meet a couple of "soul-mates" but it's been many, many years. I am so fortunate to have met Mark at a time when I needed to the most.

And such is life. We meet those we need when we need them most. We can sit and talk for hours, watch tv, or sit in silence and just be content and at peace. I love him so much and am so happy that I found him. And the bonus - I love his partner Brian as well. They are both such amazing, supportive people, but in very different ways. Together they are teaching me so much about myself.

Most people think of soul-mates as a romantic notion. I think just the opposite. Soul-mates have a common bond that is inescapable and unchanging, and although it is sometimes discovered in a romantic relationship, it is usually found where least expected - in life-long friendships. Since finding each other, I know that without question we will always be friends, always connected until our energy is dispersed once more to continue along another path.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I seriously understand what you are saying and totally agree. You put it into words very well.

Anonymous said...

I felt like I had met a long lost friend the first time we met. After such a long time of not having really close friends to share anything with, meeting you was such a nice surprise.

We both think the world of you.

Will said...

I understand about the non-sexual soulmate and I also believe as you do about the inter-connection of souls. I am particularly energized whenever I'm involved on a project with a group of exclusively gay men. I feel very strongl that when gay men get together with a common goal that there's a special bond and community that develops. There's no feeling like it.

Will said...

I just realized that this is only your fifth day blogging. Welcome. I've made contact with some great men and been lucky to meet quite a few gay bloggers. I hope you find it as rewarding an exerience as I have.