Monday, April 16, 2007

A Delicate Balance

I have another opportunity this week to get caught up on laundry, organizing, working out, some design work, etc etc. Mark is out of town until Wednesday and then goes out of town again on Thursday for the rest of the week. Brian isn't coming home this weekend either, so it looks like I'm gonna get to take care of a lot of stuff I tend to look past.

It's quite the opposite at work. This week is a national tile show (it's actually more exciting than it sounds) in Chicago and I'm the lone salesperson left in the showroom (they tell me I get to go next year). We have the warehouse guys and our office manager, but I'm the only one in the showroom. That's a lot of freakin work and it just continues to pile up, so I'm teaching some designers a lesson in patience - something Interior Designers do not come by naturally.

So - at home I can get caught up when left to my own devices, but at work I get behind. I guess life is about trade offs. Maybe that's why I'm ok with being left alone this week - there's a balance still - an even exchange. To me, life is all a balancing act. I don't expect everything to go wrong at the same time not expecting everything to go right. When I am organized at work (which I usually am), then I'm disorganized at home and vice versa. I don't think I'm happy without a little mess somewhere.

Aside: Why is it that when Abby drinks a ton of water she feels the need to come rub her face on my computer?

Where was I? Oh yeah - I think it's that whole creative mind thing. Most creative people I know at least have some little corner of their lives that is disorganized. I enjoy my disorganization. I don't necessarily like to look at it, but when everything is neat and tidy I feel like I'm living in a photograph, and I'm sorry, but life is not a photograph.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*waves* I'm in town this week...