Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Firmly Planted

I've recently discovered that I'm much more rooted than I have ever been. In talking to Seattle Guy online I started to think about the possibilities of uprooting my life and moving. I have always said I want to someday go back to San Francisco or the West Coast, so I started to ponder whether or not that was something I would really be able to do if it meant being with a wonderful man and having a life I'd always dreamt about. I began by looking at my life today, what I would be leaving behind: family, friends, a job that I love, and a life that I've built.

I'm very close to my parents and see them regularly. I'll admit it, I'm a Mama's Boy. One of the hardest parts of living in CA before was that I only got to see my parents 2-3 times a year instead of 2-3 times a month. I know that unless I can afford to fly home at least once a month, then I have no desire to move. My sister and her family are also in the metroplex and I get to see her and my niece and nephew on a regular basis. I don't want to be the absent uncle that they only see a couple of times a year. They are the closest thing I'm ever going to have to my own children and I don't want to miss out on their lives.

I'm fortunate enough to have two best friends, but even more fortunate that they both live in Dallas. It wasn't always the case. Stacie and I have lived in different places at different times. The past several years have been the first time we've lived in the same city since just after High School. I know it won't last because she has plans to move on in a few years, but I want to enjoy it while I can. And there's Mark. He has become such an irreplaceable part of my life. I don't know how I could ever leave him behind.

I have searched for a job like mine for years. I get to work with high end designers, but I can do it in jeans. I work with 5 other people in a very un-corporate atmosphere. My hours are Monday through Friday 9-5. We're a small, close, sarcastic, and bitchy family and I don't want to give that up anytime soon.

So, I've decided I'm not going anywhere. I am very proud of being a Texan and I love Dallas. It's home. The only thing I can't stand is the heat and as awful as that is, it's not enough for me to give up everything else I have here. This is the first time in my life I feel rooted somewhere and unable to up and leave, and I have to say, I really like it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I for one, am glad you're sticking around. :)

Anonymous said...

Proof that we don't talk enough. I thought you knew that Dave and I had decided that we're rooted in Dallas, too. We get frustrated with things every now and then, but that wouldn't be different anywhere else. I'm not going anywhere. I'm afraid you're stuck with me for a while!

I'm back, and I miss you. I have to run a few errands today, but mostly I'll be home. Call when you have time. *muah*