Tuesday, May 29, 2007

GBNYC 4



Let me just say that hanging out in NY with a group of locals is so much more fun than doing the tourist thing. GBNYC was a blast! I don't really know where to begin. Getting there was a major pain in the ass - delayed flight and half of the plane's luggage was lost for about an hour at LaGuardia. Once we were at Therapy, Mark and Brian were finally able to relax a bit. It took me a few drinks before I was able to because I didn't know anyone and I hate new social situations. But I finally got to meet Joe My God, Palochi, Someone in a Tree, Crash and Byrne, etc, etc...We got tired of Therapy and decided to check out a great little bar called Posh. After a couple of drinks we called it a night.

Saturday we met the guys at Central Park (after a brief detour in Harlem) to watch impromptu roller disco. After a couple of hours we realized that we still hadn't done what, in all truth, we had come to do - shop at the Kenneth Cole flagship store. We had a 2-hour window in which to buy an outfit before going back to the hotel and getting ready for dinner. It sounds like enough time, but believe me, we escaped by the skin of our teeth - one outfit head to toe apiece.

Odd that the best Cajun food I've ever had was in Hell's Kitchen NYC. We went to Delta Grill with Patrick, Byrne, and Scott. I had a few Hurricanes (Mark and Brian passed their drinks to me because they were a little strong) and Lenore's Chicken - the most amazing Cajun dish I've ever had. Next weekend I'll be in New Orleans, I'll see if I can find anything close to it. I seriously wanted to go back the next night!

Marie's Crisis was our next stop. This little hole-in-the-wall piano bar has been around for ages. It is the size of my closet in the basement of the building. The drinks are very strong, the light is dim, and the piano is loud - but not as loud as the wanna-be chorus boys belting out whatever tune is being played. God Forbid you don't know the words to some obscure little musical that hasn't been onstage since 1920 - they'll look at you like you don't belong. But, just relax, have another drink, and wait - soon enough there will be a tune everyone knows! After developing sore throats we stumbled back to the hotel for the night. As we were getting ready for bed, Mark, in his drunkeness decided to read to us from the Book of Mormon. A fun time was had by all.

Sunday brought some aimless wandering around the city followed by a beer bust at The Dugout. After about 20 minutes of visiting I couldn't breathe. The crowd was too thick and it was too hot in there. I took a cab back to the hotel and told Mark to call me when they decide to go somewhere else - I had to get out. They called later from a bar called View. I joined them there and had the first of several Martinis for the night. From there we ate dinner and headed to The Eagle. We hung out on the rooftop patio before calling it a night.

Monday, we took the train to Long Island for a barbecue. It was nice to get out of the city for the day. We had a great time with Marc & Jess and a contingent of folks from the weekend. It was a great way to relax before heading back home. As much as I loved the trip, I have to admit, it's always nice to come home.

It's taken a couple of days to recover which is why I'm just now posting. I let Mark and Brian play paparazzi for the weekend so here are their pictures from the weekend. I think I took a total of five.

No comments: