Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Dallas is the place to be

I've always loved the fact that I'm from Dallas (well, technically Denton, about 30 minutes away). I grew up coming here for events, museums, etc and have lived most of my adult life here. Recently, I had really been considering the possibilities of relocating and came to the realization that I'm too rooted here. However, if not for family and friends, I still don't know that I would want to move.

This weekend in NY we were in the Village when a very large man started yelling "Faggot" at someone leaving his shop (or something - we kinda missed what happened). But I realized, I've never heard that yelled out once in Dallas. It's happened, sure, but I've heard that word and had more problems with "gay bashing" in San Francisco and New York than I've ever experienced in Dallas.

I wasn't sure what it was about this city that made it so comfortable. Until I came across this article in Time last week. It made me realize why I love this city and why I never want to leave - and why there are more and more transplants every week.


2 comments:

Cincy Diva said...

I lived in downtown Cincinnati for 4 years and heard that word many many times yelled at me and others. I moved exactly 2.2 miles to the other side of the river into KY and have not heard in it at all in over a year, except the odd times I have to go to Cincy. Have a great weekend!

Elizabeth Mai said...

When you go to NO, go eat at Mother's - good food. Frankie and Johnny's - not so good. And let me know if the city sucks as much as it did when I went a year ago. I shook Obama's hand - cool - and heard mayor Nagen speak - wack! :)