Monday, May 7, 2007

Time to grow up

So I've decided it's time to grow up and look into owning property. My neighborhood is "transitional". It's one of the oldest neighborhoods in Dallas where Victorian mansions lined the streets. Now all that remains are miscellaneous steps leading up from the sidewalk to a vacant lot - the houses long-demolished. Every now and then there is an industrial building remaining that has either been turned into lofts or is awaiting transformation. I live in one of those.

Some of the vacant lots are slowly being filled with new townhomes. Developers are now looking at my neighborhood as an up-and-comer. RIght now the homes are very inexpensive (2 bed 2.5 bath, courtyard, rooftop deck, view of downtown, backyard - $160,000). In a few years the value will skyrocket. Right now is the time to buy because people are still scared of the neighborhood.

When I say transitional, I mean it. There are many homeless around us. Many. Most are nice and we have very few issues if any. But, it's still a scary place for a lot of people and like most change, it will take awhile. So, for those few brave souls out there, I'm surrounded by investment opportunities. Now I just have to grab my little piece!

I got a call from the mortgage company today. They told me all I have to do is pay off a couple of my credit cards and I'm set. I expected them to tell me it would be a year of jumping through hoops when in reality it could be 6 months! Now I just have to sit down and play with my budget. That's always a treat!

No comments: