Thursday, June 21, 2007

Darwin Awards and Shopping Addictions

OK, two posts in one. I just had to share this story of a naked couple that died while having sex. They were in their early 20's. How did they die? They fell off the roof of a 5-story building. Apparently they were having sex on the roof and went over the edge. This is by far the Darwin Award winner for the month in my book.

On another note, it seems one addiction has been traded for another. (I don't want any self-righteous, preachy comments on this.) I counted last night and I have 23 pairs of shoes, 10 of which are Kenneth Cole. I bought two pairs this week alone. Sunday, I bought a pair of fun sneakers. (Instead of the black inset parts, mine have gray plaid - very cute.) Then these boots which I've had my eye on since they came out. I almost paid full price, but I guess patience does pay off sometimes. I got them for $80.

You may be asking, "So, where's the addiction?" It all has to do with how I feel when I make a purchase (especially Kenneth Cole.) Sunday, before buying the shoes, I had butterflies in my stomach. I was so excited. Afterward, I got a big boost of energy and was ready to do more shopping. Not to mention I really wanted somewhere to go so I could wear my new shoes.

Same thing with the boots. When Mark told me about the sale I almost wet my pants. I'd wanted those boots for so long and now they were more than half off! I was so excited about the prospect of having them that I went in to work a little late so I could go buy them this morning. I planned my wardrobe ahead of time so that I could wear them as soon as I bought them.

This is sad. I'm pathetic. Shopping shouldn't make me feel this good. And I guess it's more of a Kenneth Cole addiction really. I get excited by other purchases, sure, but not like with KC. My heart races and I get giddy...I need serious help. But hey - at least I'm not doing drugs anymore!

(OH, and it's the first day of Summer officially - the longest day of the year!)

4 comments:

Mark Floyd-Thaut said...

Hey now! Well I not only ALMOST wet my pants, I DO wet my pants and um, I've fainted before when walking into the KC store and I've um, not eaten for a WEEK so I could have a new pair of KC shoes!

So there.

I'm a bigger fan.

Anonymous said...

I share that shopping gene as well so I need to point out Dops perspective...

"most men shop just like The BF - rarely and quickly."

I can't relate...

http://viewfromthejeep.blogspot.com/2007/06/men-shop-alone.html

TJ said...

Shopping is fun...end of sentence. In fact I'm going shopping at my favourite place, http://www.roddandgunn.com.au/, right after I post this

Anonymous said...

PLEEEZZZZ, I have 23 pairs of CROCS!! I must have 50 other pairs of additional footwear. YOU ARE NOT ALONE BABY! Say it with me "SHOP TILL WE DROP" & may g-d bless---------------LOL