Friday, August 17, 2007

Overhaul On the Loft

I think it's time to redo the loft. Last night I joined the 21st century and bought a flat-screen TV. Well, that led to a surround sound system and new pieces to my entertainment center. Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to set everything up for the best sound. Not to mention in a couple of weeks I'm getting a new bed and I'm thinking about replacing the couch.

I keep playing out different space plans in my head. The problems are:
  • Cable outlets are spaced weird. In the ideal arrangement all TVs and computers would have to be plugged into the same outlet. That won't work because it weakens the signal.
  • Not many electrical outlets and only one is convenient to a cable outlet.
  • The outlets are located on a very thin shared wall, so the TV can't back up to the wall. The opposite wall is a 12" thick concrete wall, so no outlets can go there.
  • The kitchen is in the middle of the space.
  • The loft is long and narrow.
I think I'm going to end up entering everything into CAD and coming up with a design solution like I would in any other situation. I've just never done that with my own place before which, now that I think about it, probably has something to do with the fact that my place never feels or looks finished. It's always a "work in progress".

I'm about to sign another year lease so I guess it's time I plan out the space. Given my moving history (4 moves in 2006), I guess it's not hard to figure out why I don't want to put much effort into it. I've been at this place almost a year and really like it. I can't imagine what it would feel like if it actually looked finished!

3 comments:

Cincy Diva said...

Good Luck! I have the problem of a very small living room with one wall almost toally fireplace and another wall has the archway to the bedroom so it really limits how you can set up the room. I hope get a knock-out plan you can enjoy for a long time!

Txsmurf said...

Thanks! I guess it's time for me to cash in on that ridiculously expensive Interior Design education I have.

Anonymous said...

Slacker. It's Tuesday, ya know :-p~