Thursday, August 23, 2007

Week of Doctors

I'm a slacker. I have no excuse. I just really haven't been in the mood to write this week. Mark, along with a couple of readers, have gotten on to me. I apologize. I'll do my best not to let it happen again.

This has been a week of doctor's visits. Monday I had a follow up podiatry visit. The joint in my big toe is constantly jamming when I walk due to my lovely, freakishly high arches. He decided to give me a cortisone shot in my joint to see if it would help. So far, so good. It could work for a few days, months, or years. Time will tell. He said if it doesn't work we can continue with repeated shots or surgery. The surgical option would consist of fusing the joint so I couldn't bend my toe at all. I would have to decide on the type of shoe I would want to wear for the rest of my life and the toe would be positioned in a way that accommodates that shoe. Anyone who knows me and my little shoe "addiction" knows that isn't even a remote option. I'd rather get cortisone shots the rest of my life.

Tuesday was my final appointment with the shrink. It was actually a pretty good appointment. We were able to say goodbye in a way that gave us both closure. It's hard saying goodbye to someone I've confided in for two and a half years - someone who's helped me overcome so many of my issues, including drug abuse. I owe him a lot as the only psychiatrist able to break down my walls and not give up on me. I will miss him, but I think it will be good to get a different perspective.

Today I saw the dermatologist. I have been graced with nodular acne my entire life and I'm tired of it. It makes me extremely self-conscious. I rarely swim in front of other people, rarely have my shirt off. Occasionally one of those little lovelies pops up on my face and I get to go around town feeling like a 14 year old kid. So, he wants to put me on Accutane. Ever heard of this stuff? I had. From what I remembered, the side effects outweighed the benefits. He gave me a prescription for an antibiotic and a cleanser to use while I make the decision about the Accutane. In order to assist me in the decision he gave me a binder of material to read. It reads like a horror novel. I'm very up in the air over it. The thought of never having acne again like I do is extremely appealing. The very close medical screening and supervision I would be under for the next 6-9 months is not that appealing - not to mention the rather long, terrifying list of permanent side effects.

Anyone have any experience with this crap?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can relate ... with the psoriasis, I was put on several biologics that have had some pretty bad side effects and many they don't know about yet (i.e. 5 years from now I could have liver failure). Not a wonderful feeling for sure, but ultimately I did the drugs, was better for a bit but they didn't seem to work for me.

Good luck with all those drs. appointments. They are a bitch.

Anonymous said...

Hey Steven, I have never even heard of nodular acne. I'll go look it up for more background. Be very careful with drugs that cause major side effects. Weigh all your options carefully, especially if some of the effects are permanent. As for fusing your toe-ugh! I would die if I had to wear one style of shoe for the rest of my life.

Anonymous said...

I took Accutane for 6 months after 20 years (ages 14-34) of nodular acne. I have not had a recurrence in over 5 years. Dry skin, eyes, and nasal membranes are the worst side effects-use a good, gentle cleanser (like Cetaphil), drinks lots of water, and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! It's worth it.

Anonymous said...

I don't know about you being a slacker but man you sure do whine alot!! DAMN does anything good ever happen for you?

Unknown said...

Howdy Steven. I've been cursed with nodule acne throughout much of my adult life until I realized what causes it for me: milk and vitamin B6. Once I took all dairy products out of my diet and avoided B6 enriched protein bars and supplements, I haven't had a problem since (it's been about 6 years). Studies show that Pantothenic Acid (B5) also helps with adult acne (Google "b5 acne"). I've been taking this supplement as well as "insurance", so to speak.

Best of luck to you.

Cheers,
Steve