Sunday, September 30, 2007

State Fair 2007

Today I went to the State Fair with Mark, Brian, and Mama. I haven't been in probably 10 years, so a lot has changed. I'm exhausted, sore, very sunburned, but had a great time! We did the car show thing, wandered aimlessly, watched the bird show, checked out the butterfly exhibit, and ate too much.

Here's what I gorged on today: Corn Dog, Fried PB&J (half), Fried Cookie Dough (just a bite), Fried Beef Turnover, Tater Twisters (handful), BBQ Frito Pie (YUM), and just a taste of Fried Avocado. If you've never been to the Texas State Fair, they'll fry anything. In fact there's a competition every year for new fried treats. One of us would buy something and everyone else would try it. It gets a little nauseating after awhile. Thank god I have a Lipo consultation tomorrow.

The big coup of the day was conquering a fear of heights...sort of. I'm so terrified of heights. I get nervous everytime I step foot in an elevator. When we arrived we noticed there were gondolas going across the midway. Everyone knows that these are death traps, but I was determined to not let my fears get in the way today. I survived the gondola which actually didn't go too high. I felt like if we fell we wouldn't necessarily plummet to our deaths. Most of the trip was spent passing over awnings that spanned over tents. There was plenty to break our fall.

The bigger coup was riding the Texas Star. It is the largest Ferris Wheel in North America. As long as I didn't look down it wasn't too bad. That being said, I doubt I'll ever ride it again. Here are a few links to pics and video of today for those interested:

Pictures

Video of the Sky's the Limit gondola

Video of the Crazy Mouse rollercoaster

Video of the Texas Star

Just a sidenote - until watching these videos I'd forgotten what a freakin hick I am. My accent is just stronger than I realize sometimes. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Steven, where did you get those shades? They look cool on you. And am sure on me too. Give up the source.

Txsmurf said...

The shades are Kenneth Cole (of course) Reaction. I got them at Dillard's. :)