Sunday, January 27, 2008

Corliss Basco Flournoy 1929-2008


This morning, at 9:30, Grandma passed away. I was at her side holding her hand during her last hour. She had been fighting pneumonia for over a month that she caught after intestinal surgery. She had improved immensely and was moved to a rehab facility last week. Last night my mom spent time with her watching the SC primaries and talking politics while eating Gumbo - two of Grandma's favorite things. Later in the evening things changed rapidly. She had sepsis and was going downhill fast. I'm just glad I had the opportunity to be there in the room when she passed. It was very peaceful and quiet.

I know that's a very brief version of what happened, but I don't want to concentrate on her last few hours. I'm still in shock and can't really think of anything else right now unfortunately. I will be writing about her later this week. I'll definitely be sharing the funeral experience. For those of you who haven't been to a backwoods Louisiana funeral, it's an experience and definitely worth writing about.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steven,

I realize you don't know me, but I do read your blog on a regular basis. I wanted you to know how sorry I am to hear of the passing of your grandmother. I was in a very similar situation back in 2001 when my own mother passed away while I held her. It's an experience that words most of the time cannot describe. In the near future, if you feel the need to share, I would be happy to sit down and talk with you about what you are going through.

Chip

Anonymous said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss, Steven.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you .......