Monday, January 12, 2009

About Market

About Market - UGH! But here's why...Market is when people come from BFE Oklahoma, Louisiana, New Mexico, Kansas, Arkansas, and the far reaches of Texas and they descend on Dallas to find the latest in home accessories. Well, Market Center is just down the street and since we're in the heart of the Design District they typically wander into our showroom.

Overall, it's fine. But, occasionally we get that one person who comes in from some swamp or mining town and takes up hours of time and never actually buys anything because where they're from they can't imagine spending more than $5/sf for tile. In the past 3 years (which is about 6 Markets I think) I have developed 2 very good clients - one from Kansas and one from New Mexico. In fact, they will probably "drop in" at some point this week. They're great people, and I love working with them - but out of all of the people I've seen and worked with during Market, to only have 2 that I work with still - those aren't good odds. And as far as I know I'm the only one who has that many.

So, overall, Market Week is not something we look forward to. I'm hoping that this one is different, but with the economy the way it is you never know. Our business is picking back up, but that's the Dallas consumer - I don't know that that'll apply to everyone else. Time will tell.


2 comments:

Team Manager said...

Did you seriously write 4 posts in less than an hour???? Put the rest of us to shame, why don't you.

Thanks for the movie reviews. I'm so out of touch I haven't even heard of them. Being a Pitt fan, I'm thinking I might need to go see that one. Especially if there are nude scenes (hey, I'll take what I can get these days).

troglodytis said...

somebody's making up for lost time