Monday, January 12, 2009

Movies

We went to a 10:00 showing of Benjamin Buttons after breakfast. It was a wonderful movie and very moving at times. I remember tears building or rolling down my cheeks on several occasions, but sometimes it was happy and sometimes sad.

Some of the harder parts were with Cate Blanchett dying in the hospital - I'm not giving anything away, it's how the movie opens. She's about 100 and just slowly dying. It was hard to watch with reminders of watching grandma die in a similar way - she was just younger. I love Cate, but I have to say this is not one of my favorite roles. I don't know if it was the accent or the character - still figuring that one out. Maybe it was a little of both.

Brad Pitt was absolutely amazing - and beautiful. He really should do more nude scenes. (I'm talking about the 30's/40's Brad, not the older one with all the make-up. That would be creepy, but his acting is great!

After 3 hours of on-again off-again crying we needed something light. So, we bought tickets for Bride Wars. After doing a little shopping at Macy's, we showed up at the theatre about 20 or so minutes before. The theatre was empty except for another gay couple, so we got our usual seats (on opening weekend I usually like to get there 30-45 minutes ahead, but it was a Sunday, so we took the risk.) I knew one of the other guys from work - he's a designer that we work/gossip with on a regular basis.

The theatre was nice and quiet until about 10 minutes later when gaggles of giggly girls strolled in. The most annoying sound to me in the world, other than a sudden shrill shriek of a toddler, is the sound of "girl chatter". Talks of sororities and boys and whatever else permeated the room. I don't know when I've heard the word "like" used so many times in one place. I couldn't wait for the damn movie to start!

It was a cute movie - nothing to write home about. Wasn't as good as Devil Wears Prada or 27 Dresses, but it was funny at times, sappy at others and 100% predictable. But, at the same time the past four movies we've seen in a theatre were very heavy, so fluff was good. And, because I tend to like fluff every now and then I will be adding it to the collection.

When the credits rolled Mark said he felt like he needed testosterone shots or something. I told him we could go build something or drink a beer and pick a fight...

We went home and cleaned.


No comments: