Saturday, January 17, 2009

Dallas isn't that bad...


So, I get asked a lot, "Why do you love Dallas so much?" "What's so great about Dallas?" So, when I found this little "Dallas Fun Facts" in a newspaper I thought I'd share. These aren't the reasons I love living here - I didn't know some of this stuff. However, maybe it'll make Dallas seem a little more interesting than some people think it is.

**Dallas has four times more restaurants per capita than New York City

**Six Flags Over Texas is larger than Disneyland

**Dallas has the largest urban arts district in America
(I'll have to take some pictures of the amazing progress in that area.)

**The largest model train display in America is in the lobby of the Dallas Children's Medical Center

**Dallas has the world's largest bronze monument, standing at the Dallas Convention Center, with more than 40 bigger-than-life longhorn steers, horses, and cowboys.
(Right down the street from us - I love it!)

**The integrated circuit computer chip was invented in Dallas

**The Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden has the largest public selection of azaleas in the U.S.

**Dallas has more shopping centers per capita than any other major U.S. city

**The Dallas Public Library in downtown has on display on of the original copies of the Declaration of Independence.

**The frozen margarita was invented in Dallas

**Dallas is home to two of the top airlines for service and quality, American and Southwest.

**There are more non-stop flights to Dallas from more U.S. cities than to any other airport in the world.

**There are 50,000 acres of public park land and over 60 lakes within a 100-mile radius of the city.

**The McKinney Avenue Trolley, which operates daily, is the largest volunteer-run system in the world.

Writing all of this has made me want to expand on this stuff, take pictures, etc. Not all of it, but some of it - like the bronze sculpture, the shopping and restaurants, the Arts District. I'll have to get out there and take some pictures, because even though I could find them on the internet, it's more personal if I take them myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, 6 Flags & American Airlines aren't even in Dallas Co.; try Tarrant Co.