Monday, January 26, 2009

Giving Back

Abe's (center) "Cherry Ride"

I've been looking into different ways to help injured veterans. I think I've finally decided on Rebuild Hope and USA Together. They allow you to choose the soldier/family you want to help and let you send either money or needed items. While I was looking for ways to help and give back I heard this story on NPR about Veterans turning to online help because the military doesn't take care of everything. I decided that's what I needed to do.

So, this next paycheck I'm going to start budgeting for regular donations to a couple of specific veterans. I just haven't done enough.

Another good site that has lots of different ways to help soldiers that are currently serving is Soldiers' Angels. It has anything from sending birthday cakes and cell phones to fostering pets while soldiers are in Iraq.

I don't know what sparked this sudden need to give. I think it's a combination of it being more personal with Abe and Ersan in Iraq and new hope for the future. Yes, Obama has had that effect on me I have to admit. For the first time in years I feel hopeful for our government and our future.

I guess it doesn't really matter what caused it - what matters is that I've turned that corner. Now I just need to get paid...

1 comment:

Dave2 said...

If you're looking for another excellent organization, I've written about my passion for AnySolder.com a few times. The great feeling you get from helping out a soldier far from home is pretty amazing. :-)